Monday, August 24, 2009

Dinner a la Melissa

This morning while we were lying in bed Libi started to get excited that Jammy and Granpa were coming to town. I told her that they were coming on Friday. We talked about every day this week and the activities we were doing: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 days until they visit. Then she shocked me by touching my fingers backwards and saying, "5, 4, 3, 2, 1"-- she is brilliant!!!

Libi and I enjoyed a day of shopping this morning. We ran to 2 different Payless stores to find the perfectly sized ballet and tap shoes for Libs dance class that begins next week. We then ran to Sam's Club as our cubbards were bare and we were super low on many essentials.
For dinner tonight I cooked an entire menu from Melissa D'Arrabian, the winner from The Next Food Network Star.I made her yummy 4-step chicken, bed of spinach and potato gratins. I have to say that I probably could have eaten the entire pan of gratin! It was crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside, creamy all over, and totally perfect!!!Libs enjoyed her fruit, vegies, and gratin but was very resistant to try the chicken. When she asked for more peaches we told her she had to try some chicken first, and this was the face we got.You would think that we were asking her to eat liver covered in brussel sprouts! She got all pouty and kept staring at her chicken and then staring at us-- her eyes begging us to not make her eat such a vile thing. Needless to say, she didn't try it so there were no more peaches for the evening, but Ron and I had a good laugh from it.

While she was playing in the evening she was telling her dolls to "Shut up!" This bugs me because I HATE this phrase and we NEVER say it in the house. I guess that the Simpsons are a bad influence, so we will have to have more of a chat about nice words and mean words.

Lately Libi has been selecting her books for bed-time reading. She has been choosing a book on the Underground Railroad, which makes her Daddy beam! It isn't the most uplifting book, but Daddy reads it really well and the pictures must intrigue her.

No comments: