Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

Today our Mom's Club went on our final traveling field trip of the year. We met up at the La Brea Tar Pits (aka the Page Museum) which I hadn't been to in years.To get into the spirit I dressed Libi in a tar pit brown dress complete with elephant barrettes (it was the closest I could get to woolly mammoth ones!)She was so excited to see the dinosaurs-- problem is there are no dinosaurs at the museum. I couldn't figure out how to explain fossils to a 2 year old, so I went along with the dinosaur excitement.While we waited Libi danced to a cowboy hat-wearing, banjo playing man.She was fascinated by the pool of tar-- she tried to get the gate open to go in for a swim.When our friends started getting there the dancing got bigger....and the twirling began.We did our famous kid portrait in front of the sign-- it is way too hard to get 8 kids to all look at the camera at the same time!Once inside Libi found her dinosaurs-- anything that was only bones was a dino. I did tell her their proper names: sloth, mammoth, sabre tooth tiger, etc. but all she wanted to hear was dinosaur. Oh well, I'll reprogram her before she gets to school.She did call this an elephant-- which is much closer to its actual name so we're not doing too badly!I forgot how small the museum really is-- our kids blew through it in no time!A few things caught their attention: this sign to measure yourself against a bear...the bones to touch...and the gardens in the center of the building....which had....turtles!!!

So as to not waste a trip to L.A. (it took longer to drive down then it did to explore the museum) Libi and I went to the Grove/Farmer's Market afterwards. She napped while I explored and window shopped. Once she woke up we went to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory (sorry Amy!) It was the nicest lunch we've had. We chatted and Libi sang, she politely asked for water and a "dilla" from the server, and everyone sitting near us thought she was darling. My little girl isn't so little anymore-- she was a wonderful dining companion.

Ron and Libi went out to dinner with Grammy for Cinco de Mayo. What Mexican restaurant did they go to to celebrate their heritage??? Elephant Bar!!! Yep, Elephant Bar! I guess I can't talk I went to a meeting at Buca di Beppo, but I'm not half Mexican so I have an excuse :)

No comments: